Thursday, February 14, 2008

Lab #14 Letter to Hero

Dear The Who,
I am writing to tell you that you are one of my many heroes. There are many reasons why, and I’d like to take this time to write some of them down.

Reason number one is that you are musicians. That immediately adds a layer of respect to anyone I meet because I am one myself and I also like to learn from other musicians about their kind of music. It helps me in my music compositions. And you are not only musicians, you are a rock band. Some people may claim that rock is a lesser form of music, but I disagree because you make people feel empowered.

That leads me to reason number two which is that you inspire people. People still play your music today because the message of power, of independence is something we long for, especially now. This is why you played at Woodstock, because you were able to send a message. People just can’t send messages anymore. Occasionally you get a good powerful and empowering song but it gets lost in the trash that we get barraged with day after day. “My Generation” “We won’t get fooled again” these are the songs that ring out the independence of youth. People think that youth is the only time to be rebellious, but I disagree. I feel that if adults were more rebellious the world would be in a better state than it is today.

One more thing: Your song “Baba O’ Riley” is one of the best songs in the world. Every time I hear it I get chills and I feel alright with the world. I know that’s not a logical reason or an intelligent reason, but it’s a good reason for me. It doesn’t work on an intellectual level, it’s a soul level. That’s why I like it.

Forever a fan,

Wells Albritton

1 comment:

! said...

Wells, I think what you said about adults being rebellious is so interesting. I wonder if that's somehow a 'natural' progression, that when you get older you have to dress conservatively and give up The Who. Sometimes it really seems that way. But, I totally agree, it's rebellious, message-sending adults who get things done...rebels like Bhutto or Nelson Mandela.