Thursday, February 14, 2008

Lab 37: Response to TED talk Mr. Rosling

I don't know if this is the correct way to do this lab, but as I have no recording equipment words will be my medium.

My first reaction to this video was one of overwhelming hope. The fact that there are people who share my philosophy of life is quite an encouraging thing to remember. My second reaction was amazement that this little Swedish man swallowed a bayonet!

More specifically I loved how he could look at the facts, but still be optimistic. He made me realize that we have to not only look at the present world today but also look at the past. what he said about how Africa isn't a damned place. It's no worse than Europe was long ago. He also, after 20 years of research, has found out that the solution is fairly direct and easy.

I really enjoyed the special computer program that shows information based on all of the statistics of the past. On one level, it gives me a greater respect for math. on another level it greatly increases my respect for history as well. The visual aid (which was a really cool program)really showed us the honest truth about our country and other countries as well. It shows our country gravitating towards economic issues as opposed to social issues like health. I wonder what we would do if the general public had this information? Would they applaud? Would they be shocked? it is certainly something to think about.

That is what great minds do. create more things to think about. It's only the apathetic and the shallow who stop thinking. the great minds will keep on thinking up new things to think about. Now it is time for the great leaders to do something with those thoughts.

Wells Albritton

No comments: